Franklin, TN patients have an effective treatment for excessive sweating
Franklin, TN residents are enjoying a new level of freedom. They are free of embarrassing underarm odor, free of sweat-stained clothing, and free from the discomfort of excessive sweating. What is their secret? It’s not a secret at all – it’s the result of Botox treatment, which is available right here at CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center!
The benefits of Botox treatment for excess sweating
- Reduce or eliminate underarm sweating
- May be able to improve sweaty forehead, palms, or other areas
- Fast, convenient procedure
- Long-lasting results
- Safe for most adults
- Clinically tested, FDA-approved treatment
- Say so-long to embarrassment, discomfort, and ruined clothing
Although it may be uncomfortable and unpleasant, sweat is an essential function of the human body. It is our cooling system, protecting the body from dangerous overheating. The average person has millions of sweat glands distributed across his or her body. Most of these are eccrine glands, which produce a colorless and odorless liquid. A small percentage are apocrine glands, mostly located in the underarm and genital areas. These glands excrete thick liquid, which reacts to normal skin bacteria creating the familiar and unpleasant smell known as BO (body odor).
Fortunately, due to the high number of sweat glands in the body, it is harmless to deactivate a few of those, specifically the problematic ones located in the armpits. Ideally, this can be accomplished with a topical product, known as antiperspirant, which is readily available in retail stores. However, it just doesn’t seem to work for some people. If you are among them, you have likely wondered why – and the answer is hyperhidrosis.
Like many natural functions in the human body, the “cooling system” can malfunction. Overactive sweat glands may be activated without a trigger such as heat, and they can produce high volumes of uncomfortable liquid as well as off-putting odor. The technical name for this medical condition is hyperhidrosis, though most people simply call it excessive sweating.
A surprising ally in the fight against sweat
Patients who ask how to stop excessive sweating are often surprised at the answer. There are a few options, but one of the simplest and most effective is a product you are likely very familiar with. Botox, the same beloved injectable that erases crow’s feet around your eyes is also a wonderful hyperhidrosis treatment.
Many systems in the body – from muscles to sweat glands – are activated by nerve signals. When those nerves become overactive, the systems they control malfunction. Crow’s feet form when excess nerve signals are keeping tiny muscles perpetually contracted, which creates lines in the overlying skin. Similarly, in people with hyperhidrosis, nerve signals are triggering sweat glands too frequently. In either case, the symptoms can be greatly improved by calming nerves, thus reducing the frequent, intense signals they are sending. That is exactly what Botox does.
Botox is classified as a neuromodulator, meaning that it modifies the action of nerves. Its effect is very localized. Nerves in the immediate vicinity of the injection site are impacted, but it doesn’t spread. This accounts for both the safety and versatility of Botox. The result of treatment is directly related to the exact location of the injections, and the dosage. A skilled injector such as the providers at CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center can achieve highly predictable results with precision treatment.
Extensive clinical research and patient experiences confirm the efficacy of Botox:
- The FDA has approved Botox injections for the treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis, better known as underarm sweating., and it is often used “off-label” in many other areas.
- Studies published in The American Journal of Clinical Dermatology (Oct 2009 issue) found Botox to be from 80 to 90 percent effective in the treatment of sweaty palms. They also found that about three-quarters of patients experience relief lasting about five months.
- Studies published in Dermatologic Clinics (Oct 2014 issue) concluded that Botox is “safe and effective” for treating excessive underarm sweating.
- Botox may be reliable treatment for sweating on many other areas of the body. Researchers and physicians have reported positive results in treating areas such as the forehead.
Who is a good candidate for Botox hyperhidrosis treatment?
Botox is considered safe for most adults, and side effects are rare. However, no product or procedure is appropriate for every patient. During your consultation, we will discuss potential risks, contraindications, allergies, and any concerns you may have.
Generally, Botox injections may be a good choice if:
- Antiperspirant fails to keep you dry and odor-free through the day.
- You are over the age of 18.
- You are not allergic to any of the ingredients in Botox.
- There is no current open wound or infection at the planned treatment site.
- You are tired of uncomfortable wetness, embarrassing smell, and sweat-stained clothing.
What to expect
Patients who have treated facial lines with Botox won’t be surprised by the procedure, because it is quite similar. The first step in any treatment is a consultation, during which we discuss your goals and options. If you decide that Botox injections are right for your hyperhidrosis, we will discuss scheduling.
The actual procedure is fast and surprisingly comfortable. Dosage and injection sites are strategically planned for optimal results. Botox is administered with an extremely fine needle, and our clinicians are skilled in gentle, efficient injection techniques. It only takes about 15 minutes with minimal discomfort.
You will be able to resume your day immediately after treatment with no downtime. Improvement may be noticeable within a day or two, and full results are typically apparent after about a week. Like cosmetic injections, hyperhidrosis Botox treatment is long-lasting but temporary. You can maintain the results with regular touch-up appointments, usually scheduled several months apart.
Help is just a phone call away
If you are ready to enjoy the freedom of dry, odor-free, embarrassment-free days, then give us a call and find out if Botox is right for you. CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center is conveniently located in Franklin, TN, and we can be reached at (615) 784-3223.