Erasing skin pigmentation problems and blemishes in Franklin TN
Flawless skin is considered a hallmark of youth and health. Yet, despite our perceptions, it rarely comes naturally. Virtually everyone has at least a few dark spots, red areas, textural irregularities, or other imperfections. Factors such as age, sun exposure, or dermatological conditions can cause additional problems with pigmentation and blemishes. Franklin, TN men and women turn to the expertise of the CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center team for effective solutions.
Dark areas (hyperpigmentation)
Hyperpigmentation is the most common pigmentation problem. Defined as excess pigment, it is a quite broad term, which can describe any unusually dark area of skin. There are many types of hyperpigmentation, with differing causes. Some of the most common include:
- PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) – This is a familiar problem for people who have struggled with severe acne. Those little discolored spots that remain for months or years after pimples heal are not true scars. Instead, they are PIH, which is an overproduction of pigment caused by prolonged inflammation. This can also develop after wounds, burns, surgery, or any other skin trauma that involves inflammation.
- Melasma (chloasma) – Characterized by large, irregular shaped areas of dark skin, usually on the face, melasma begins in the deep dermis. This common pigmentation problem is associated with hormonal changes and may be triggered by sun exposure. It is sometimes called the mask of pregnancy, because it is so prevalent among expectant mothers.
- Ephelides – Better known as freckles, these little skin spots are the most common form of hyperpigmentation. They can develop anywhere on the body, sometimes in great numbers. Freckles are harmless and some people consider them cute. However, for people desiring even-toned skin, freckles are problematic and difficult to hide with makeup.
- Solar lentigines – These small, dark lesions are sometimes called liver spots or age spots. However, they are primarily caused by UV damage to the skin. They may develop anywhere on the body but are most common in areas that receive a considerable amount of sun exposure. Although solar lentigines are harmless to your health, they can develop into skin cancer, and therefore should be monitored by a healthcare professional.
Light areas (hypopigmentation)
In some instances, the skin creates too little pigment, rather than too much. This is known as hypopigmentation. It may develop as a result of skin trauma, or as a symptom of a dermatological condition. Albinism, which can affect skin, hair, and the iris of the eyes, is a very rare hereditary disorder. More common, though still somewhat rare, is vitiligo.
Individuals with vitiligo may experience significant lightening, or even complete loss of pigment in large areas. The patches are clearly defined and can appear anywhere on the body, possibly even affecting skin inside the mouth. Vitiligo can affect anyone, though it is much more noticeable in individuals with darker skin tones.
Treating blemishes and pigmentation problems
There is a vast array of products and procedures for improving skin. We will begin with a comprehensive evaluation and consultation to determine the cause of your problem, and then we will recommend the best solutions. Your treatment plan may include:
- Laser resurfacing – This is a good option for patients seeking dramatic skin improvement, with issues beyond pigmentation. Laser energy targets the upper layers of skin, destroying damaged cells and triggering rapid rejuvenation. It can improve pigment problems, minor scars, fine lines, textural irregularities, poor complexion, and much more. Side effects and recovery vary, depending on the strength of the laser treatment. Non-ablative and fractionated lasers are gentle, yet precise, with little to no downtime. Full ablative resurfacing provides more dramatic results, but it can require some recovery time.
- IPL (intense pulsed light) – Similar to laser therapy, but gentler and more versatile, an IPL photofacial can resolve many skin blemishes without discomfort or downtime. The procedure works by applying broad spectrum light, in short pulses. Various filters and other adjustments are used to customize the intensity and wavelengths of light, according to your specific needs. IPL can effectively target skin pigment, improving brown spots, uneven coloring, and more. It is also exceptional for the treatment of vascular lesions, such as red marks and general facial redness.
- UV therapy – For certain skin conditions, including vitiligo, a carefully measured amount of UV light may be beneficial. Sun exposure is not recommended, because the light is unfiltered and affects all exposed areas of skin. Dermatological UV-based treatments deliver optimal levels of specific UV rays, precisely targeted to the treatment area.
- Chemical peel – Extremely versatile and predictable, chemical peeling may be used to improve hyperpigmentation and many other types of skin blemishes. A moderate to deep peel can achieve rapid resurfacing without laser treatment, while mild peels can gently rejuvenate skin with no downtime. The depth of the peel is determined by the potency of active ingredients as well as the length of time it remains on the skin. Chemical peels generally contain some type of acid, which stimulates rapid cellular turnover. They also include therapeutic ingredients, designed to target various skin conditions. Some peels are specifically formulated to improve the complexion and fight pigmentation problems.
Other types of skin blemishes
A blemish may be virtually any cosmetically displeasing spot. Some of the most common complaints are related to pigmentation problems. However, acne, cold sores, scars, visible blood vessels, and other marks are also considered blemishes. While the treatments for each of these are very different, there is one all-encompassing solution, and that is to call CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center.
Our team of aesthetic medical professionals is here to help you enjoy the confidence of feeling comfortable in your own skin. In fact, our services go beyond skin, with a variety of wellness solutions ranging from body contouring to hair loss treatment and much more. No matter what your specific concerns are, we will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan to address your needs. To schedule a personal consultation with one of our skilled medical professionals, just give us a call at (615) 784-3223.
Be WellCoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skincare Center is here to serve Middle Tennessee patients with the best skincare services available. Call today to schedule your appointment! (615) 784- FACE (3223)
Be SpecialOur VIP program allows you to pamper yourself every month without breaking the bank. Our VIP Programs start at 39.99 per month.
Be HappyWe understand that taking care of your skin can be a difficult & expensive task, but we have a solution! Our 100%
Financing Guarantee with little or no down payment will allow you to take care of your skin properly without breaking the bank. We have financing that ranges from 12 months – 36 months.