Top anti-aging and skin care tips for Franklin, TN men
Historically, skin care products and treatments were designed specifically for women. Thankfully, we are living in a modern era, in which a growing number of men are reaping the rewards of healthier, younger-looking skin.
Here at CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center in Franklin, we often see men who are relatively new to the world of skin care. They grew up in a culture that somehow equated self-care with femininity. Soon, life experience and changes in social standards revealed the truth. Life-threatening cancer, premature aging, wrinkles, painful skin conditions, and unattractive blemishes do not discriminate. We can all benefit from good health, looking younger, and feeling our best.
It’s never too soon or too late to start taking great care of your skin. Here is what you need to know.
The sun is not your friend
At one time, a suntan was considered attractive, a sign of good health and an outdoor lifestyle. Although far less prevalent, that myth still lingers. In reality, attractive tanned skin is very short-lived because sun exposure hastens aging. That same skin will be wrinkled, weathered, and “old looking” much sooner than if it had been protected. Even more importantly, the leading cause of skin cancer is UV rays from natural sunlight or tanning booths. Tanning is actually a visible sign of skin damage.
How can you avoid premature aging and heightened skin cancer risks?
- When possible, schedule outdoor activities before or after peak hours. UV rays are strongest mid-day, usually between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
- Wear high-SPF sunscreen and be sure it is labeled for broad spectrum UV protection. The SPF rating refers to UVB rays. Those without the “broad spectrum” designation likely offer no protection against UVA rays.
- Apply sunscreen liberally. Use generous amounts and be sure to cover all exposed skin.
- Reapply as needed. Chemical sunscreens loose potency quickly, and they need to be reapplied every two hours. If swimming or sweating excessively, reapply sooner. Even water-resistant products are not waterproof.
- Wear protective clothing. Long sleeves, long pants, hats with wide brims, and similar items provide the best barrier against sun.
- Protect your skin every day. Harmful UV rays can pass through clouds and windows. It may not be bright or warm, but if you are exposed to sunlight then you are exposed to UV rays.
Schedule an Appointment today.
How to choose the right product
The most basic skincare routine involves cleaning, moisturizing, and sun protection. Sounds simple, right? You can just pick up some soap, lotion, and sunscreen from the local drug store… Unfortunately, it’s not quite so easy.
You aren’t the only one seeking better skin. In fact, skin care is big business, and men are a fast-growing segment of the market. If you are familiar with the rules of supply and demand, you already know what that means. In the average store, you’ll find dozens, maybe even hundreds, of skincare products. How can you tell what is right for you?
Most importantly, know your skin. A product for oily skin will aggravate dryness, and the reverse is also true. Similarly, a medicated product can damage skin if you don’t actually have the targeted condition. Be aware of sensitivities or allergies, get an accurate diagnosis for any existing conditions, and know if your skin is oily, dry, or combination. When choosing products, read labels carefully and select a formula appropriate for your skin. If you aren’t sure, ask us for guidance.
When to consider professional treatment
A good home skin care regimen is the foundation of dermatological health. However, sometimes it’s not enough, especially when time starts catching up with you. We offer a full range of medical and cosmetic treatments to meet your needs. Some of the most popular procedures among male patients include:
- Botox is a simple injectable medication that can smooth wrinkles and fine lines, especially around the eyes. It is so popular among men that it has been dubbed “Brotox.”
- Kybella is the first, and so far, the only, injectable treatment for double chin. It kills fat cells, reshaping your profile with just a few treatments.
- Liposculpture is liposuction, performed with artistic precision. While unwanted bulges are reduced, some fat is retained in strategic areas enhancing the appearance of muscles, for that coveted chiseled look.
- Laser hair reduction lets you avoid shaving, stubble, and razor burn.
- Many, many more