Nonsurgical skin tightening treatment available in Franklin, TN
In some ways, our skin is quite similar to the clothing that we cover it with. Your favorite shirt fit perfectly when it was new. However, after many years of wear the elastic is weak, the fabric has grown thin, the fibers have grown weak, and the garment is stretched out of shape. A similar process occurs within the skin, as the collagen network weakens, and laxity increases. Fortunately, Franklin, TN residents have a variety of non-surgical skin tightening solutions available right here at CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center.
Over the counter skin firming products – do they work?
Store shelves are brimming with skincare products, many of which claim to firm, tighten, and smooth aged skin. Patients often ask if these formulas work. The answer depends on two factors:
- First is the product itself; some brands are excellent while others are low-quality and contain impure fillers. When purchasing any skincare item, ask us for advice if you are unsure what is right for you.
- Secondly, you need to have realistic expectations, or you will meet with disappointment, even when using the highest quality product. Therapeutic formulas with ingredients such as retinols can nourish skin, helping it stay healthy and subtly fight the progression of aging. However, they will not make a dramatic difference, nor will they correct existing laxity. This is why most retail products are branded as skin firming formulas, not skin tightening formulas.
To truly tighten skin, we must address the root cause of laxity. Skin is composed of several layers. The epidermis is what we see, it is the uppermost layer. Moisturizers and other topical products may seep into the epidermis, introducing therapeutic compounds from the top down. They can help exfoliate, hydrate, and nourish the skin surface. However, skin laxity, or tightening, takes place at a much deeper layer, the dermis.
How professional, nonsurgical skin tightening works
Face creams are not enough, but you aren’t ready for cosmetic surgery. Is there an alternative? In generations past, there was not. Thankfully, that has changed with the development of several gentle – and highly effective – devices designed specifically for tightening saggy skin without surgery.
These procedures can reduce laxity, texture, and the crepey appearance of aged skin. There are several techniques, all of which work by applying therapeutic energy to the treatment area. As cells absorb energy, the process creates a thermal reaction that effectively triggers production of new collagen and elastin in the deep dermal layer.
Because collagen and elastin are types of proteins, they tend to shrink and tighten a bit when exposed to heat. Therefore, you might notice some improvement very soon after skin tightening treatment is complete. However, the greatest benefits occur gradually and are long-lasting. Collagen remodeling and increased production gradually firms, tightens, and smooths skin in the weeks following your procedure. We know that every person is different, and therefore has unique needs. That is why we offer several skin tightening options.
Ultrasound skin tightening
For over half a century, ultrasound energy has been implemented safely and effectively in a variety of medicinal uses. Today, it is a staple of aesthetic medicine, with skin tightening being among the most popular uses. Ultrasound devices are among the best ways to tighten neck skin, as well as treating the chin, brow, chest, and other areas.
- Some ultrasound devices have been FDA cleared for several treatment areas on the face and neck
- Ultrasound is an excellent choice for patients fighting early signs of aging or seeking prejuvenation
- The procedure may take about 30 minutes or longer, depending on the treatment area
- Full results develop within about three months
Radiofrequency (RF) treatments
Devices such as Pellevé work with therapeutic RF energy, which safely passes through the surface layer of skin to target deep tissues where collagen is formed. It is gentle enough for use in delicate areas such as around the eyes, yet it is powerful enough to correct significant skin laxity.
- The FDA has cleared RF devices for treatment of the neck, face, hands, and other areas of the body
- RF is considered safe for all skin types and all skin colors
- There is no downtime and patients typically describe the procedure as painless
- A series of up to six treatments may be needed in order to achieve optimal improvement
- Full results are seen several months after the final RF session
IPL skin tightening
Intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy, also called photo-rejuvenation, is gentler than laser resurfacing and has little to no downtime. This procedure can improve skin tone and texture, as well as stimulating collagen production to reduce laxity.
- The IPL procedure is fast and convenient, usually completed in about 30 minutes
- No bandages to change, no significant recovery, no downtime
- Broad spectrum light provides multifaceted skin rejuvenation, improving skin laxity, redness, uneven complexion, sun damage, and much more
- Most patients will need a few IPL sessions, spaced several weeks apart
Who is a good candidate?
Because skin tightening treatments are nonsurgical and noninvasive or minimally invasive, the risk of complication is very low. These procedures are generally considered safe for most adults. However, pregnancy, certain medical conditions and prescription medications may contraindicate skin tightening. We will discuss your medical history and other factors during the initial consultation before making a recommendation.
Generally, skin tightening is a good option for most patients’ concerns about age-related skin laxity, which can cause wrinkles, sagging, and a crepe-like appearance. It is also popular for tightening up droopy areas after weight loss. However, it is important to remember that these procedures are nonsurgical, so they do not remove excess skin.
If you have severe sagging, or have undergone major weight loss surgery, then a procedure such as a tummy tuck or facelift may be more appropriate. We will discuss all viable options during your consultation, and help you choose the one most appropriate for your needs. Our exceptional team of aesthetic medical professionals includes a skilled cosmetic surgeon. We offer a full range of solutions in one comfortable and convenient location. Whatever your needs, you can count on CoolSprings Laser, Aesthetic & Skin Care Center. Just call (615) 656-4030 to schedule a consultation.